reads from and signs
Signing line tickets on sale now
June 9, 2019
(Doors at 3:00)
Harvard Book Store
1256 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge, MA 02138
$19.25 (book-included) - On Sale Now
Harvard Book Store is thrilled to welcome back David Sedaris for another hilarious evening in the bookstore, celebrating the paperback release of Calypso, his first essay collection in five years.
Events with the incomparable David Sedaris are like no other, and we're delighted to welcome him back to Harvard Book Store this June! David likes to spend time with everyone who attends, so his book signings are legendary, and typically go on for many hours. See below for guidelines and tips for attending.
Tickets for this event will go on sale Tuesday, May 21st at 9am. All tickets are $19.25 (include the price of the book + tax).
Update: "In-Room Tickets" are now sold out—in record time! (May 21, 9:12am). Overflow Tickets are also sold out (May 31). Signing line tickets are still available!
In-Room Tickets and Overflow Tickets
- Each of these tickets admit one (1) to the store for the reading and each include one (1) paperback copy of Calypso.
- Tickets are $19.25 (include the price of the book + tax).
- Doors will open approximately an hour before the event.
- Check-in and book pickup will begin at 2pm.
- Tickets are limited to two (2) per order.
- In-Room Tickets: 75 tickets for this event will reserve a seat in the room where Mr. Sedaris will be speaking. Seating is general admission.
- Overflow Tickets: These tickets are for overflow standing room, outside of the room where Mr. Sedaris will be speaking. Audio of David's reading will be broadcast throughout the main level of the bookstore. Overflow Ticket–holders will join the signing line once the reading concludes and In-Room Ticket–holders have had their books signed.
Signing Line Tickets:
- These tickets include one (1) paperback copy of Calypso and admit two (2) into the signing line, but do not include admission to the bookstore during the reading.
- Tickets are $19.25 (include the price of the book + tax).
- Signing Line Ticket–holders will be invited to join the signing line once In-Room and Overflow Ticket–holders have had their books signed.
- We expect the signing line to open up to these ticket-holders between 6:30 and 7:30pm.
- You will also receive "I'm a Waiting-in-Line Champion" pins, which will earn you treats at partner businesses around Harvard Square that evening.
- Check-in and book pickup will begin at 2pm (and any time after). Once you've checked in with our staff, we can text you when it's time to come join the line.
Signing Line Free Pass Registration:
- Register for a free spot in the signing line, to follow the Signing Line Ticket–holders. This does not include admission to the bookstore during the reading.
- We expect the signing line to open up to these registrants between 8:00 and 9:00pm.
- You will also receive an "I'm a Waiting-in-Line Champion" pin, which will earn you treats at partner businesses around Harvard Square that evening.
- Once you've checked in with our staff, we can text you when it's time to come join the line.
David will stay until every last person gets their book signed. The signing line will open to the public once all ticket holders and registrants have gotten their books signed. David likes to spend a few minutes with every single person, so please note that his signings often go late into the night.
Additional copies of Calypso will be available for purchase that day, as well as many of David's previous titles. David will sign any of his books, including those brought from home.
Please note that there is no photography or other recording of any kind permitted at this event or during the signing.
Treats at Partner Businesses
When you check in for the event, ticket holders and signing line registrants will receive their numbered signing line passes as well as passes to receive treats from our Harvard Square neighbors (see details below!). They'll also receive a coupon for Ben & Jerry’s Harvard Square location when they check in! Milk Bar will be providing cookies (while supplies last) for those waiting in the signing line in the bookstore after the talk.
3 Brattle Street. Cambridge
Offering "Buy One Get One Free" pizza for ticket holders on June 9th.
Beat Brew Hall
13A Brattle St, Cambridge
Offering a special Sedaris Margarita "On Ice" and 10% off food for ticket holders on June 9th.
45 1/2 Mount Auburn St, Cambridge
Offering a complimentary Tiramisu per ticket holder with the purchase of an entree (while supplies last, offer applicable on June 9th until 10:30pm).
Grafton Street Pub & Grill
1230 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge
Offering a David Sedaris–themed cocktail and $1 oysters for ticket holders (2pm to 10pm on June 9th).
The Longfellow Bar
40 Brattle St #3, Cambridge
Offering a cocktail special called “A well made cocktail” for $10 to ticket holders on June 9th.
Why not host the reading and signing at a bigger venue? Mr. Sedaris loves doing book signings and readings in bookstores themselves, and for additional contractual reasons this was organized as an in-store event.
Can I listen to the reading if I don't buy a ticket? Due to the capacity of the store space, the reading itself (from 4:00 to 5:00pm) will be limited to In-Room and Overflow ticket holders. The store will be closed to the public from approximately 3pm to 5pm.
When will ticket holders receive their copies of the book? Copies of the book will be distributed to ticket holders when they arrive and check in for the event that evening, starting at 2pm.
If I don't buy a ticket, when can I join the signing line? Once ticket holders have gotten their books signed, we'll open up the signing line those who have registered for signing line passes. That is unlikely this will happen before 8pm.
I can't come. Can I order a signed book? YES!
- We'll be taking orders for signed paperback copies of Calypso only. (Sorry, we can't accommodate signed requests for other David Sedaris titles.)
- Place an online order here. The deadline for online orders is Thursday, June 6th at 11:59pm.
- Phone orders may be placed up until the event start time.
- Please also see our signed event book FAQ.
Is Mr. Sedaris really going to stay and sign books for everyone? Yes!
David Sedaris returns with his most deeply personal and darkly hilarious book.
If you've ever laughed your way through David Sedaris's cheerfully misanthropic stories, you might think you know what you're getting with Calypso. You'd be wrong.
When he buys a beach house on the Carolina coast, Sedaris envisions long, relaxing vacations spent playing board games and lounging in the sun with those he loves most. And life at the Sea Section, as he names the vacation home, is exactly as idyllic as he imagined, except for one tiny, vexing realization: it's impossible to take a vacation from yourself.
With Calypso, Sedaris sets his formidable powers of observation toward middle age and mortality. Make no mistake: these stories are very, very funny—it's a book that can make you laugh 'til you snort, the way only family can. Sedaris's powers of observation have never been sharper, and his ability to shock readers into laughter unparalleled. But much of the comedy here is born out of that vertiginous moment when your own body betrays you and you realize that the story of your life is made up of more past than future.
This is beach reading for people who detest beaches, required reading for those who loathe small talk and love a good tumor joke. Calypso is simultaneously Sedaris's darkest and warmest book yet—and it just might be his very best.
Ticket holders will receive their books when checking in on the evening of the event. All ticket purchases are nonrefundable and nonreturnable. Anyone unable to attend the event will be able to pick up books at the store up to one month after the event.
Walking from the Harvard Square T station: 2 minutes
As you exit the station, reverse your direction and walk east along Mass. Ave. in front of the Cambridge Savings Bank. Cross Dunster St. and proceed along Mass. Ave for three more blocks. You will pass Au Bon Pain, JP Licks, and TD Bank. Harvard Book Store is located at the corner of Mass. Ave. and Plympton St.
Thank you for your support!
Here are a few of the ways you can support your bookstore during challenging and uncertain times.Learn More »
Shipping & Delivery
and options, locally
Support Harvard Book Store
Thank you for making a financial contribution to support Harvard Book StoreLearn More »