Making Americans: Stories of Historic Struggles, New Ideas, and Inspiration in Immigrant Education
A landmark work that weaves captivating stories about the past, present, and personal into an inspiring vision for how America can educate immigrant students
Setting out from her classroom, Jessica Lander takes the reader on a powerful and urgent journey to understand what it takes for immigrant students to become Americans. A compelling read for everyone who cares about America’s future, Making Americans brims with innovative ideas for educators and policy makers across the country.
Lander brings to life the history of America’s efforts to educate immigrants through rich stories, including these:
- The Nebraska teacher arrested for teaching an eleven-year-old boy in German who took his case to the Supreme Court
- The California families who overturned school segregation for Mexican American children
- The Texas families who risked deportation to establish the right for undocumented children to attend public schools
She visits innovative classrooms across the country that work with immigrant-origin students, such as these:
- A school in Georgia for refugee girls who have been kept from school by violence, poverty, and natural disaster
- Five schools in Aurora, Colorado, that came together to collaborate with community groups, businesses, a hospital, and families to support newcomer children.
- A North Carolina school district of more than 100 schools who rethought how they teach their immigrant-origin students
She shares inspiring stories of how seven of her own immigrant students created new homes in America, including the following:
- The boy who escaped Baghdad and found a home in his school’s ROTC program
- The daughter of Cambodian genocide survivors who dreamed of becoming a computer scientist
- The orphaned boy who escaped violence in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and created a new community here
Making Americans is an exploration of immigrant education across the country told through key historical moments, current experiments to improve immigrant education, and profiles of immigrant students. Making Americans is a remarkable book that will reshape how we all think about nurturing one of America’s greatest assets: the newcomers who enrich this country with their energy, talents, and drive.
There are no customer reviews for this item yet.
Tote bags and pouches
in a variety of styles,
sizes, and designs, plus mugs, bookmarks, and more!
Shipping & Pickup
We ship anywhere in the U.S. and orders of $75+ ship free via media mail!Learn More »
Noteworthy Signed Books: Join the Club!
Join our Signed First Edition Club (or give a gift subscription) for a signed book of great literary merit, delivered to you monthly.Learn More »