David Allen Sibley
The Sibley Guide to Birds, Second Edition
in conversation with CHRISTOPHER LEAHY
THIS EVENT IS NOW SOLD OUT
Co-sponsored by Mass Audubon
This event includes a book signing
March 14, 2014
6:00 PM ET
40 Brattle St., Cambridge, MA 02138
SOLD OUT. View our Sold Out Event FAQ.
Harvard Book Store and Mass Audubon are pleased to welcome naturalist and bestselling author DAVID SIBLEY, and CHRISTOPHER LEAHY, Gerard A. Bertrand Chair of Natural History and Field Ornithology at Mass Audubon, for a discussion of the second edition of The Sibley Guide to Birds.
The publication of The Sibley Guide to Birds in 2000 quickly established David Allen Sibley as the author and illustrator of the nation’s supreme and most comprehensive guide to birds. Used by millions of birders from novices to the most expert, The Sibley Guide became the standard by which natural history guides are measured. The highly anticipated second edition builds on this foundation of excellence, offering massively expanded and updated information, new paintings, new and rare species, and a new, elegant design.
The second edition offers a wealth of improvements and updates:
- All illustrations reproduced 15 to 20 percent larger for better detail.
- Includes nearly 7,000 paintings digitally remastered from original art for enhanced print quality.
- Expanded text includes habitat information and voice description for every species and more tips on finding birds in the field.
- More than 600 new paintings, including illustrations of 115 rare species and additional paintings of common species and regional populations.
- More than 700 updated maps of ranges, showing winter, summer, year-round, migration, and rare ranges.
- 85 bird family pages now cross-referenced to species accounts.
- Revised taxonomic order and most current common names for every species.
The Sibley Guide to Birds, second edition, brings the genius of David Allen Sibley to the world once again in a thoroughly updated and expanded volume that every birder must own.
THIS EVENT IS NOW SOLD OUT!
Please note that your ticket ONLY guarantees you admission until five minutes before an event begins. Additionally, tickets purchased online may only be picked up at the venue the night of the event, and cannot be picked up in-store beforehand. $5 tickets are also coupons, good for $5 off an in-store purchase at Harvard Book Store. Coupons expire one month after the event, and cannot be used for online purchases, event tickets, discounted items, or gift certificates.
All ticket purchases are non-refundable.
Walking from the Harvard Square T station: 10 minutes
As you exit the station, cross Mass. Ave. and proceed along Brattle St. Follow Brattle St. as it curves to the right in Brattle Square (follow the sidewalk on the right side of the street). The Brattle will be on the left-hand side of the street. The building is shared with Algiers Cafe and Alden & Harlow Restaurant, and the theatre entrance is on the left side of the building—look for the sidewalk poster case and marquee.
Unable to attend a Harvard Book Store author event? You can still pre-order a signed book by one of our visiting authors.
While we can't guarantee fulfillment of a signed book pre-order, our authors are almost always able to sign extra books to fulfill such orders.
Ordering a signed book on harvard.com:
- Add the book to your shopping cart and then click Checkout.
- Specify in Order Comments that you want a signed copy of the book.
- Please note: online orders for signed copies must be placed at least one business day before the event. If you are ordering the day of, please call us instead.
Ordering a signed book by phone:
- Call us at (617) 661-1515 and one of our booksellers will take your order. Specify you'd like a signed copy.
- If you are requesting a personalized inscription and/or requesting your book be shipped, we'll need to take down credit card information. If you are planning to pick up the signed book in the store, you can pay on pick-up.
Can I request a personalized inscription?
Unless otherwise noted, we are happy to take requests for the author to sign your book to a specific person, but we can't guarantee it. If you do get a personalized inscription, the book will be non-returnable. We will require credit card information when you place the order.
Do signed books cost more?
There is no extra fee for a signed book!
Do I have to pick it up in the store, or can you deliver my signed book?
As with all web or phone orders, we can hold your book for in-store pickup, or ship it anywhere in the country.
I am planning to attend an author event. Do I need to pre-order a book?
No need. We'll be selling books at the event, and nearly all of our events include a signing at the end of the talk.
More questions? Give us a call!
Mass Audubon: http://www.massaudubon.org/
Featured event books will be for sale at the event for 20% off. Thank you for supporting this author series with your purchases.
Tote bags and pouches
in a variety of styles,
sizes, and designs, plus mugs, bookmarks, and more!
Shipping & Pickup
We ship anywhere in the U.S. and orders of $75+ ship free via media mail!Learn More »
Noteworthy Signed Books: Join the Club!
Join our Signed First Edition Club (or give a gift subscription) for a signed book of great literary merit, delivered to you monthly.Learn More »