Books upon books
Update: October 2020
As of Saturday, October 10, we'll be temporarily closing our used book and remainder basement to shoppers for 2020. We'll be transforming this space into socially distanced work stations for packing up your holiday packages as we work to safely and swiftly process your harvard.com orders. The bargain basement will re-open to shoppers in January, when we expect to resume buying back used books
Watch this space for updates on our hours and services: www.harvard.com/updates_on_covid-19.
Used book buy-back is currently paused. Use our signup form below to be notified when we resume buy-back (expected in early 2021) which will be by appointment only.
Downstairs in Harvard Book Store, you'll find thousands of used books, including works of classic and modern literature, children's books, books in other languages and nonfiction works on history, art, architecture, religion, science, and much more.
As you browse the shelves, take a minute to look on the end of bookcases and on the walls—posted are the ephemera we find in used books we’ve bought from customers. There are bookmarks from around the world, ticket stubs from events, including one from the Republican Convention of 1948 and a piece of stationery from the Sheraton Hotel on which someone wrote "I cannot contain my loathing for Kant."
Sell us your books!
If you are interested in selling us your books, please read the following requirements and guidelines:
- All purchases require photo ID.
- All purchases are at the discretion of the buyer.
- Books must be in good condition. They should not have notes, highlighting or underlining, and pages must be securely bound into the book.
- We are particularly interested in books in the following categories: classical studies, European history, mathematics, philosophy, psychology, Loeb Classics, and books in the Everyman Library, Library of America, and Modern Library
- We buy fiction and nonfiction paperbacks in a variety of subjects including (but not limited to) mystery, science fiction, history, religion, poetry, science, psychology, and drama
- We do not buy test prep, romances, westerns, true crime, computer books, or out-of-date travel books.
- If there is a paperback edition of a book, we are unlikely to buy the hardcover.
“Up Late” Shirt Design
Now available as a hoodie! Order deadline is Nov 6th! This fundraiser supports the future of Harvard Book Store.Learn More »
We're experiencing an enormous and unprecedented order volume at this time. Thanks for your patience and understanding.Learn More »
New This Week
Shop this week's new arrivals, updated every Tuesday.Learn More »