Books upon books
We are once again buying back used books! (by appointment only)
- We are offering store credit only at this time. (We don’t yet have a date for cash buybacks.)
- Buybacks are by appointment only; we can’t do walk-ins.
- Appointments can be made by phone at 617-475-8305. (The Used Book Department staff will be available to make phone appointments Tuesday through Saturday, 10am to 4pm). Appointments can also be made in person during these hours.
- Purchases are made at the discretion of the buyer. We do not accept donations, and unbought books may not be left behind.
- Please plan for your arrival. If your arrival is 10 or more minutes late for a scheduled appointment, we reserve the right to cancel.
- Thank you for your patience with this scheduling process! Updated: February 9, 2021
Our Used Book Basement is Open!
Downstairs in Harvard Book Store, you'll find thousands of used books, including works of classic and modern literature, children's books, books in other languages and nonfiction works on history, art, architecture, religion, science, and much more.
As you browse the shelves, take a minute to look on the end of bookcases and on the walls—posted are the ephemera we find in used books we’ve bought from customers. There are bookmarks from around the world, ticket stubs from events, including one from the Republican Convention of 1948 and a piece of stationery from the Sheraton Hotel on which someone wrote "I cannot contain my loathing for Kant."
Sell us your books!
If you are interested in selling us your books, please read the following requirements and guidelines:
- All purchases require photo ID.
- All purchases are at the discretion of the buyer.
- Books must be in good condition. They should not have notes, highlighting or underlining, and pages must be securely bound into the book.
- We are particularly interested in books in the following categories: classical studies, European history, mathematics, philosophy, psychology, Loeb Classics, and books in the Everyman Library, Library of America, and Modern Library
- We buy fiction and nonfiction paperbacks in a variety of subjects including (but not limited to) mystery, science fiction, history, religion, poetry, science, psychology, and drama
- We do not buy test prep, romances, westerns, true crime, computer books, or out-of-date travel books.
- If there is a paperback edition of a book, we are unlikely to buy the hardcover.
New This Week
Shop this week's new arrivals, updated every Tuesday.Learn More »
Shipping & Curbside Pickup
We ship anywhere in the U.S. and orders of $75+ ship free via media mail!Learn More »
Tote bags and pouches
in a variety of styles,
sizes, and designs, plus mugs, bookmarks, and more!