Books upon books
We buy used books! (by appointment only)
- Buybacks are by appointment only; we can’t do walk-ins.
- Appointments can be made by phone at 617-475-8305. (The Used Book Department staff will be available to make phone appointments Tuesday through Saturday, 10am to 4pm). Appointments can also be made in person during these hours.
- Please plan for your arrival. If you arrive more than 10 minutes after your scheduled appointment time, we reserve the right to cancel your appointment. Buybacks are by appointment only; we can’t do walk-ins.
- Purchases are made at the discretion of the buyer. We do not accept donations, and unbought books may not be left behind.
Sell us your books!
If you are interested in selling us your books, please read the following requirements and guidelines:
- All purchases require photo ID.
- We typically offer 15% of the cover price for cash, 20% for store credit.
- Books must be in good condition. They should not have notes, highlighting or underlining, and pages must be securely bound into the book.
- We are particularly interested in books in the following categories: classical studies, European history, mathematics, philosophy, psychology, Loeb Classics, and books in the Everyman Library, Library of America, and Modern Library.
- We buy fiction and nonfiction paperbacks in a variety of subjects including (but not limited to) mystery, science fiction, history, religion, poetry, science, psychology, and drama.
- We do not buy test prep, textbooks, ex-library copies, computer books, out-of-date travel books, romances, westerns, or true crime.
- If there is a paperback edition of a book, we are unlikely to buy the hardcover.
Our Used Book Basement is Open!
Downstairs in Harvard Book Store, you'll find thousands of used books, including works of classic and modern literature, children's books, books in other languages and nonfiction works on history, art, architecture, religion, science, and much more.
As you browse the shelves, take a minute to look on the end of bookcases and on the walls—posted are the ephemera we find in used books we’ve bought from customers. There are bookmarks from around the world, ticket stubs from events, including one from the Republican Convention of 1948 and a piece of stationery from the Sheraton Hotel on which someone wrote "I cannot contain my loathing for Kant."
New This Week
Shop this week's new arrivals, updated every Tuesday.Learn More »
Shipping & Curbside Pickup
We ship anywhere in the U.S. and orders of $75+ ship free via media mail!Learn More »
Tote bags and pouches
in a variety of styles,
sizes, and designs, plus mugs, bookmarks, and more!