Books upon books
Downstairs in Harvard Book Store, you'll find thousands of used books, including works of classic and modern literature, children's books, books in other languages and nonfiction works on history, art, architecture, religion, science and much more.
As you browse the shelves, take a minute to look on the end of bookcases and on the walls -- posted are the ephemera we find in used books we’ve bought from customers. There are bookmarks from around the world, ticket stubs from events, including one from the Republican Convention of 1948 and a piece of stationery from the Sheraton Hotel on which someone wrote "I cannot contain my loathing for Kant."
Sell us your books!
Used book buying hours: Tuesday–Saturday, 10am–4pm
We buy all of our used books from customers and members of our community. The purchasing desk downstairs in the used department is staffed from Tuesday through Saturday, 10am–4pm.
If you are interested in selling us your books, please read the following:
- All purchases require photo ID.
- All purchases are at the discretion of the buyer.
- We are particularly interested in books on classical studies, European history, books from the Everyman Library, Library of America editions, Loeb Classics, mathematics, Modern Library editions, philosophy, photography, and psychology.
- We buy fiction and nonfiction paperbacks in a variety of subjects including (but not limited to) mystery, science fiction, history, religion, poetry, science, psychology, and drama.
- We do not buy romances, westerns, true crime, computer books or out-of-date travel books.
- Books must be in good condition. They should not have notes, highlighting or underlining, and pages must be securely bound into the book.
- If there is a paperback edition of a book, we are unlikely to buy the hardcover.
Questions? Give us a call at 617.661.1515.
Shipping & Delivery
and options, locally
Signed First Edition Club
A unique way for readers to create a wealth of great books—Get a membership for yourself or for a gift!Learn More »
Paige M. Gutenborg
Our book-making robot
& your vehicle to millions
of books in minutes.